Daniel Keyes - The Asylum Prophecies




Synopsis

Raven began the day in an asylum, a disturbed young woman with multiple personalities recovering from another suicide attempt. But now she holds a secret that could save thousands of innocent lives. Buried deep in her splintered subconscious are details of an impending terrorist attack against the United States—details that her kidnappers cannot let her reveal. As Raven summons all her strength to fight her captors, an American agent races across the globe to rescue her and find the key that will unlock her trapped memories before it’s too late.
~


I literally put down the book a few minutes ago, with an indefinible feeling in my heart. I just realized how big loss was Daniel Keyes' death to the world. We lost a gifted author, a very intelligent and smart person and a writer whose words come to life on the pages.

I have to admit that after reading the worldwide phenomenon, Flowers for Algernon, and loving it, I felt like Daniel Keyes became and auto-buy author - anything he writes, I read without knowing anything about the novel. That's how I realized I need to read 2 of his freshly (re)published novels: The Asylum Prophecies & The Fifth Sally. They got both matching covers to Flowers to Algernon, and if I will enjoy The Fifth Sally too, I will be a bigger Keyes-fan, I swear. :)

Aaaand, that's how it happened: I started reading The Asylum Prophecies without reading the synopsis, knowing anything about the story or the characters. You look at the cover, the title, and what you think? Asylum, hmm... This must be some kick-ass psychological book.. And I read, and keep reading, and bang: terrorists! Which is DEFINITELY not my cup of tea, to be honest. :) But as I kept reading, I could not put it down: it was brilliant! And because of the terrorists and psychological theme, I loved it more. :)

This topic is very close to me because of some reasons, so it was the main reason I could find it very easy to indentify myself with the story. The book brought the asylum's feeling to me, and as we looked inside Raven's thoughts, we could get to know the mechanism of schizophrenia too. I feel like this topic is close to me.

The Tedescu Prophecy was really creative and great shot from Keyes. I've always cherished writers, who could wrote several stand-alones about different places, different people, sometimes even different worlds.

Well, The Asylum Prophecies is definitely not a quick summer read, but if you want to leave your bookish comfort-zone, experience something new, something unusual, take a look into a sick person's mind, then I recommend this book to you!!

Fan Cast

Raven Slade

Fatima Sayed

Alexi Costa

~

With this review, I want to bow to the memory of Daniel Keyes


1927-2014
Rest in Peace

0 megjegyzés:

Megjegyzés küldése